Congresses that are organised by Tampere Universities community promote sustainable development and global responsibility in a number of ways:
- Pedaforum is arranged at Hervanta campus, which is easily reached by public transportation. Most hotels and social event venues are located conveniently within walking distance from the railway and bus stations.
- At the university campuses, accessibility is ensured by various means (e.g. ramps, elevators, automatic doors, accessible toilets, induction loops).
- When outside the university facilities, we favour accessible venues.
- We ensure that all communication and information is accessible for the congress delegates (e.g. congress website, registration form, signs at the venue).
- We favour local suppliers and partners (hotels, venues, catering operators) that have obtained a certificate in sustainability.
- We do not request for disposable tableware and dishes for catering.
- We prioritise vegetarian or vegan menus and locally produced catering options.
- Pre-registration is required to minimise food waste at congresses.
- As Finnish tap water is clean and safe to drink, we do not use or distribute bottled water.
- We support multidisciplinary encounters and diversity perspectives (e.g. ecumenical chapel, gender-neutral toilets, availability of nursing room).
- We keep all congress materials to minimum and distribute giveaways (pens, notepads and the like) only to those who need them.
- We reuse name-badge holders and provide a drop-off point for them.
- We avoid using any decorations that create unnecessary waste.
- We offer different options to participate online.
- Recycling is done efficiently at Tampere University campuses and it is also made clear to visitors.
- We take measures to ensure health security (hygiene, thorough cleaning of facilities, following eventual restrictions) according to the global health situation.
- We promote social responsibility e.g. by appointing university students as congress assistants.
- When possible, we use several price categories to make congresses accessible even for participants with lower economical status. Similarly, we give participants with higher economical status the possibility to support the congress.
Read more about sustainability in Tampere University Community here.