Please submit your abstracts for review by September, 10 (Final call!)
In 2015, the United Nations (UN) adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, providing a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and in the future. The implementation of the blueprint is through achieving the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), set by the UN’s 2030 Agenda. This has significant implications for education. Besides the SDG 4: Quality Education, education is key to the success of the remaining SDGs (UNESCO, 2017). While the important relations between education and SDGs are widely acknowledged, there remains ambiguity on how education can effectively contribute to SDGs (Kioupi & Voulvoulis, 2019) as well as how should education and educational institutions be transformed to better perform their roles in sustainable development (Filho et al., 2019).
This conference invites education researchers and practitioners from two unique education systems, namely the largest education system of China and one of the best performing education system of Finland, to share their insights and research findings related to education and sustainability. It is expected that the scholarly discussions at the conference will not only offer research-based knowledge to support education and sustainable development in both countries but also help address global challenges on the topic.
We welcome papers and panel discussion proposals that contribute to the discussion from theoretical, methodological, or empirical perspectives, which are of interest to education researchers academic communities and relevancy to educational policymakers, administrators and professionals. The geographic scope of the papers does not have to be limited to Finland and China, international cases are welcome! Specifically, we invite research contributions to the following tracks:
- Theories and methodologies for research on the relations between education and sustainable development
- Roles of education and educational institutions (including schools and universities) in sustainable development
- Transformations in learning, education and educational institutions for sustainable development
- Global and comparative perspectives on education and SDGs
- Digitalisation and education for SDGs
- Other related issues
Publication opportunities: Selected papers will be invited to contribute to the Special issue in Sustainability journal
Please use the below templates to submit your proposals:
The abstracts will be reviewed by Septermber, 30 by our Scientific Committee members:
- Professor Hannele Niemi, Professor, Research Director at the University of Helsinki, UNESCO Chair on Educational Ecosystems for Equity and Quality of Learning 2018-2021.
- Dr. Yuzhuo Cai, Adjunct professor, Higher Education Group, Faculty of Management and Buniness, Tampere University
- Professor Inkeri Ruokonen, Professor, Kindergarten Teacher Education, University of Turku
- Prof. Heikki Lyytinen, UNESCO Chair on Inclusive Literacy Learning for All, University of Jyväskylä
- Professor ZHOU Zuoyu, Vice-president, Beijing Normal University
- Professor SHANG Junjie, Executive director of the Lab of Learning Sciences, Peking University
- Professor WANG Jun, Vice Dean of faculty of psychology, Beijing Normal University
- Professor Ritva Kantelinen, Philosophical Faculty, School of Applied Educational Science and Teacher Education, University of Eastern Finland
- Professor Heli Ruokamo, Vice Dean, Professor, Faculty of Education, Director, Media Education Hub, University of Lapland
- Professor Mari Tervaniemi, Research Director, Cicero Learning and Cognitive Brain Research Unit, University of Helsinki
- Professor Michael Uljens, Professor of General Pedagogy and Educational Leadershipб Åbo Academi
- Professor Jaakko Kauko, Vice Dean of Research, Faculty of Education and Culture, Tampere University
- Dr. Ari Korhonen, Senior University Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, Aalto University
- Professor Kati Mäkitalo, Dean, Faculty of Education, University of Oulu
Best paper awards
To be considered for the best paper award one must submit a full paper before 30 October. Maxum three best papers will be awarded. The Sustainability journal will grant a 50% discount of APC for the best papers awarded by the JoLii conference.
Filho, W. L., Salvia, A. L., Pretorius, R. W., Brandli, L. L., Manolas, E., Alves, F., . . . Do Paco, A. (2019). Universities as Living Labs for Sustainable Development: Supporting the Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals: Springer International Publishing.
Kioupi, V., & Voulvoulis, N. (2019). Education for Sustainable Development: A Systemic Framework for Connecting the SDGs to Educational Outcomes. Sustainability, 11(21), 6104. doi:10.3390/su11216104
UNESCO. (2017). Education for Sustainable Development Goals. The Global Education 2030 Agenda. Paris,France: UNESCO.